[pvrusb2] Maybe what a I really want is a Hauppauge HD PVR!?

roger roger at eskimo.com
Tue May 27 16:53:11 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 10:42 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008, roger wrote:

> The HD-PVR by itself isn't a digital receiver.  But it's an ideal device
> when paired with an HD tuner that has HD outputs via component video.
> It solves the problem of linking up MythTV to a DRM-infected cable box.
> (At least I think it does, I have no personal experience with this.)
> This is why the MythTV crowd is drooling over it.  It just needs a Linux
> driver.
>
> An absolute killer device would be an HD-PVR with a tuner and FM
> reception.  That would make it a complete HD-level evolution over what
> the PVR-USB2 was.  But I have no idea if anything like that is in the
> works.

Some good info.

Currently there's only a few in Anchorage, but none here in Fairbanks
according to:

http://www.ibiquity.com/hd_radio/hdradio_find_a_station

To my amazement, there are a lot more stations broadcasting in digital
now.

> > Guess I'll have to wait awhile to see the results of recording on lower
> > processor platforms.
>
> I'm sure you can use a very slow processor to record with the HD-PVR.
> It's playback that is the issue.  And the root cause has to do with
> h.264 decoding, so it isn't going to get any better with driver
> improvements.  More likely this will be less of an issue in the future
> and processor power improves.  It's the same sort of thing that happened
> and HD tuners started to appear and the computers of the day could
> barely handle the decoding requirements.  Nowadays just about any decent
> computer can do it.

I have none of the wide screen tv's here, nor do I plan to buy any
within the near future. (Old Age Syndrome taking effect.) So, I
currently only care about SD (Standard Definition)
playback/recording ... for now.  I rarely watch live tv through the
pvrusb2 device as well.  I just use it for a PVR (recording) device for
watching later... until the free tv schedule support got dropped from
MythTV. :-/

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html