[pvrusb2] PAL-Plus support

Bjorn Danielsson pvr-usb2 at dax.nu
Fri Nov 7 09:55:44 CST 2008

Carsten Meier <cm at trexity.de> wrote:

> I think you misunderstood me a little bit. Just to be sure we're talking
> about the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palplus .
> I know, that my PVRUSB2 doesn't have any decoder-hardware.
>
> To assemble a true 16:9-picture of a PALPlus-broacast, only the lines
> hidden in the black letterbox-bars have to be reinserted into the
> picture. Can that be done with the PVRUSB2?

According to that Wikipedia article, PAL-plus is a very special
analog encoding that removes 25% of the visible scanlines and
hides their luminance information in the color subcarrier in
the top and bottom black sections. In order to mix these lines
back into sequence again you would need either hardware support
or special software that converts the decoded video stream
(if possible) just before displaying the frames on the screen.

--
Bjorn Danielsson  <pvr-usb2 at dax.nu>