[pvrusb2] Problems Tuning Digital Channels on HVR-1950

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Thu Nov 13 12:48:42 CST 2008

The install of my new HVR-1950 on an Ubuntu Intrepid box went with
minimal hassle. Using the sysfs interface and
channel-number-to-frequency conversions from Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_broadcast_television_frequencies),
I was able to tune in the NTSC channels just fine, with /dev/video0
giving good streaming.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the ATSC side of things to work.
I tried following the directions at
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Testing_your_DVB_device, but
(dvb)scan doesn't find any channels. (It will occasionally find one or
two channels, but I can't get anything consistent.) It's not an antenna
issue - I hooked the HVR-1950 up to a Windows box, and the Hauppauge
software finds all of them no problem, with signal-to-noise ratios of
20+ (some channels max out at 30). Trying to manually set the channels
with the sysfs system doesn't seem to work, either, though I'm not sure
if I'm doing it correctly for ATSC.

What procedure do you use to test the dtv side of the driver? Is there
anyway I can tell if it's specifically a pvrusb2 issue, or if the
problem is further up the chain in the V4L/DVB layer?

Thanks.