[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080831

Bjorn Danielsson pvr-usb2 at dax.nu
Sat Oct 18 13:19:52 CDT 2008

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>[...]
> You just need to build another computer to test against :-)
>
> That's actually how I do things here.  I have a "production" system
> running MythTV, but the testing is all done on a workstation which I can
> take down at any time without upsetting anything / anyone.  I actually
> do compilations on a laptop and then rsync the to-be-tested module(s)
> over to the test machine.  This is a nice strategy because it means I
> don't have to restart my entire dev environment every time I panic the
> test machine :-)

Mike, you mentioned a few years ago that you used vmware for some things,
are you using any virtualization stuff today for your driver hacking?

I started playing with qemu recently, mainly for work-related things
that involve freebsd. I haven't tried it on my pvrusb2 box yet
but I am tempted.

I can easily get addicted to the convenience of having boot screens
in a vnc window instead of having to deal with a physical monitor.
And I also like not having to worry about zapping the MBR or formatting
the wrong partition during a test install...

--
Bjorn Danielsson  <pvr-usb2 at dax.nu>