[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080831

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:32:30 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> You just need to build another computer to test against :-)
I've built enough and have more than enough extra old motherboards,
etc. thank you.
I've got old broken and working hard disks down to sub gig sizes. My
friend says the
platters make neat wind chimes, and you can use the powerful magnets too.
Computer building / upgrades are a task for winter break, after I see
what goes on
sale at Fry's after Thanksgiving.

> If you'd like to send me the updated changes you are making to the
> module (even if it is hardcoded stuff), I can try to use that to better

The changes are not generic. Directv, OTA Analog and a SVHS player each
have a slightly different active video area. Directv even uses a couple of lines
for guide data, giving more annoying flashing at the top of the screen. I just
center the capture to match them all as best I can, but it would be cleaner to
have an adjustable crop function that I could include in the channel changer
script depending on the input selection. So what I did now is not
really useful to
anyone else.

>> Do you know what process is used to reduce the size of the modules?
> There is no "official" process for that which I know of.  Obviously
> distro vendors can do whatever they want.  I generally don't notice this
> because I build my own kernels here.  But as for "what" they do, odds
> are very likely that you are right and that all the debug info gets
> stripped out - that can chop out a lot of stuff from the module.

I t looks like they do a strip --strip-debug as the default in the
Makefile as part of installing
the modules. I guess I could do that. I don't really see any downside
for a "production" system.
If I need to debug something, I could always recompile with debug in.
What I have is pretty
stable.

Mark