[pvrusb2] Qemu and usb

Bjorn Danielsson pvr-usb2 at dax.nu
Sun Oct 19 13:49:14 CDT 2008

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:
>[...]
>> I started playing with qemu recently, mainly for work-related things
>> that involve freebsd. I haven't tried it on my pvrusb2 box yet
>> but I am tempted.
>
> I'd be curious to know how well that works.  The key factor will
> of course be how well qemu handles USB support.

I tried qemu on my tv box today. Making it work was unfortunately
not as straight-forward as I would have liked. The first problem
was that I had to compile qemu from source on that box, and the
qemu release won't compile with gcc-4. So I used the svn version
instead, and there the second problem showed up: usb support is
broken in the current svn. But I was able to fix that (and a patch
is in the pipeline) and after some fumbling with the qemu control
monitor I managed to redirect my 2040:2400 device to the guest OS.
At that point the drivers were loaded, the firmware was installed,
and the v4l devices were created. Then I tried capturing with
"cat /dev/video0" and it sort of worked. The sound was ok but
about half of the video frames were missing so the picture was
jerky in mplayer (when played later on another machine).

--
Bjorn Danielsson  <pvr-usb2 at dax.nu>