[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20081019

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Oct 19 15:26:56 CDT 2008

A new pvrusb2 driver snapshot is available.  The changes are:

  (+) Fix deadlock problem that started with kernel 2.6.27.x.  New
      behavior in this kernel causes a USB disconnect if a USB device
      reset is requested by the driver.  Previously there was no
      disconnect and the driver retained control of the device.  The
      pvrusb2 driver, as controlled by the initusbreset option, can
      trigger such a reset as part of device initialization - and
      I've had this enabled by default.  Unfortunately now with a
      disconnect taking place, then the driver ends up cleaning up and
      then starting over with the next connect - and then triggering
      another reset.  Worse still, the USB core is issuing the
      disconnect callback in the same thread context as the thread
      which requested the reset, which results in a recursive lock
      entry inside the pvrusb2 driver, thus setting up the deadlock
      problem.  Once in this state, the only way out is a reboot.
      Really, the function of "initusbreset" amounted to "chicken
      soup" anyway; it didn't hurt and might help.  So this fix simply
      removes the function.  It is no longer possible to automatically
      reset the device on initialization.  The change is conditioned
      on the kernel version, so if you build against a kernel older
      than 2.6.27 then the option (for what it's worth) will still be
      present.

  (+) Implement a minor tweak to the mpeg encoder programming to
      hopefully keep PTSes from "drifting away".  This fix was
      discovered empirically by Boris Dores.

The first fix should hopefully make it into 2.6.27.x.

The second change dates from the end of last July.  The related
discussion on the list ended on July 26th - just before I went on
vacation.  And by the time I came back I had forgotten about it.  Only
just now I noticed this and merged it.  I usually leave reminders for
things like this sitting in my inbox.  But the message had been hiding
in "plain sight" among about 50 other messages for the past few months.
Sorry about the delay, Boris.

As usual, the pvrusb2 web site can be found at:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

isely @ pobox (dot) com