[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 fix in 2.6.27.x stable tree?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Oct 23 14:48:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Mike Isely wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, devsk wrote:
>
> > Its not there in 2.6.27.3...:(
> >
> > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.3
> >

> > But at least we have workaround...:)
> >
> > -devsk
>
> I'm not sure what happened.  I think either somebody just dropped the
> ball or there's something new about the stable submission process that I
> must have screwed up.  This fix is obvious, needed, and is a clear-cut
> candidate for a stable update.  It will get there eventually.
>
> This fix has already been pulled into v4l-dvb and submitted up for
> inclusion into 2.6.28, btw.

More information...

I had previously thought that Mike Krufky could simply cherry-pick
changes out of a linuxtv.org repository and send them straight up for
inclusion but I guess I had either misunderstood this or the process has
since changed.  Instead, the current stable update process requires that
before Greg K-H can grab changes for a new stable point-release,
proposed fixes must first get into Linus' tree.  And that has to come
from Mauro picking up the change(s) from the developer's v4l-dvb
repository.  I made the fix available to Mauro Sunday afternoon; Mauro
did the pickup Tuesday afternoon but his pull request to Linus is
apparently still pending.

I have also been told that the proposed changes for 2.6.27.3 were locked
into review starting last Saturday.  The pvrusb2 fix missed that window
by 24 hours - of course assuming an unrealistic zero latency between my
posting it, Mauro pulling it, and Linus pulling that.  So it had no
chance to get into 2.6.27.3.

However I see no reason why this deadlock fix won't make it into
2.6.27.4.

isely @ pobox (dot) com