[pvrusb2] How good is support for HVR-1950?

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Sun Oct 26 18:35:42 CDT 2008

I'm looking for a good ATSC+NTSC tuner, and trying to avoid any
"gotchas" after purchasing.  The linuxtv.org wiki lists the Hauppauge
HVR-1950 as a "Supported ATSC USB Device", but doesn't have a subpage
about it. The pvrusb2 site makes it sound promising, but I'm wary after
encountering too many "It works ... (but, oh, yeah, significant features
X, Y, and Z don't)" type situations on other sites.

What isn't yet working with the HVR-1950 under Linux kernel 2.6.27? (I'm
intending to use it with the upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
release.) -- I know about the FM radio not working yet, and I've seen
the "initusbreset=0" workaround for the early 2.6.27 kernels.
(http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2008-October/001918.html)

Anything else I should be aware of? No issues with either analog and
digital reception? All resolutions of digital supported?
Composite/S-video input too? Does the IR receiver/remote/blaster
function on Linux? Any audio/video syncing issues? Is ATSC EIT
programming information retrieval supported?

Sorry to bother the list with this, but I've spent more time than I care
to admit reading various webpages, and would like a straightforward
assessment.

Thanks.