[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 on Kubuntu 9.04

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Apr 27 00:22:15 CDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Harley Pariseau wrote:

> Just installed Kubuntu 9.04, and I see the pvrusb2 drivers and firmware are
> already in place.
>
> However when I attempt to start the driver, the following occurs:
>
> sudo modprobe pvrusb2
> FATAL: Error inserting pvrusb2
> (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> I'm not really sure where to proceed from here
>
> --
> Harley Pariseau
> harleyp at gmail.com

Harley:

So you just installed a "stock" Kubuntu and got this result?  Nothing
else installed?

The reason I ask is because generally when you get an error like this it
means that the module was compiled against the wrong kernel source tree
(relative to the kernel you are running) - which would seem unlikely
coming from your distro!  It's also possible that a bad option was
passed to the module, and there was one option that changed in the
driver about 6 months ago.

But before going any further, here's now to diagnose the error:  Trigger
the problem again.  Then look at your kernel log.  The quickest way to
do this is with dmesg, e.g. "dmesg >/tmp/foo.out" then examine
/tmp/foo.out for lines with "pvrusb2" in them.  You'll likely find some
error messages regarding an attempt to load the driver right at the very
end of the output.  In there you will find more detail about the error,
for example there might be a complaint about an unknown symbol that the
module requires which isn't in the kernel.

Check that and tell me what you find...