[pvrusb2] Kernel & Kernel Modules with GDB

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Aug 26 22:57:42 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 01:31 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Roger wrote:
>
> > Hey Mike.
> >
> > In the process of setting up KGDB here.
>
> Have fun.

Got KGDB working here.  Just curious if you ever got it working.  The
howto's are confusing with their terminology, so I initiated a KGD
Gentoo Wiki -- what works for me.

> > Where's a good starting place to start debugging the kernel modules?
>
> Usually it's all printk() for me here (or some slightly clever
> additional nodes temporarily dropped into the sysfs interface).  I've
> used gdb to remotely debug other operating system configurations
> (VxWorks, specifically).  But I've never tried this with Linux - though
> I know it's possible.  So far I haven't hit a bug sufficiently baffling
> that I wasn't able to finally figure it out through other means.

That's all I was curious about, what you use for debugging the kernel modules.

BTW, KGDB (still) seems to miss the last transmit line before a hard
lock.  But other then this, it does seem to do as it's advertised.  And,
it's all in kernel now.  (No need to patch the kernel... as of >=
2.6.29.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org