[pvrusb2] WinTV-PVR USB2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Dec 2 20:00:30 CST 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Robert Casper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would someone be kind enough to help me figure this out?  My hardware is a WinTV-PVR USB2 (24022), plugged into a relatively new laptop running Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit.  Does this mean I have the in-kernel driver already?
>
> I extracted the firmware files and tried copying them to "/lib/firmware", but found they were already in there.
>
> Did some more reading and learned the driver file is called "pvrusb2.ko".  I searched my file system for that name and found the file, located here:
>
> /lib64/modules/2.6.28-16-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/pvrusb2

Sounds like everything is where it should be.

When you plug in your device and power it up, the kernel should autoload
pvrusb2.ko and the driver should initialize the newly attached device.

> The device name seems to be /dev/video1.  When I try "mplayer /dev/video1" it tells me No such file or directory.  Same for video0.

How do you know it is /dev/video1?

> Should this driver be in a default install of Jaunty?  I suspect it's there but somehow not activated.  My next step is to try compiling the standalone driver to see if that sets it up correctly.
>
> Just asking for advice on anything else I could try before compiling.

What does the kernel log tell you?  (Try dmesg.)  You should see a bunch
of log messages from the kernel as the driver comes up.  If it fails to
initialize properly the clues for why will be there as well.