[pvrusb2] WinTV PVR USB2 with Beagleboard driver

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Dec 17 22:09:31 CST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, marco at panzanella.net wrote:

>    Dear Mike,
>
>    Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to disturb you again.  I was wondering if
>    you can make a quick comment on my progress.  I think I sucessfully
>    compiled the pvrusb driver.  When I plug in your device I see the
>    following errors:

Marco:

No sorry, you're still not there yet.  Looks like you're still having
some build problems here...

>    [ 2288.158325] usb 1-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 6
>    [ 2288.307006] usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>    [ 2288.502258] tveeprom: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>    [ 2288.509490] v4l1_compat: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>    [ 2288.518280] videodev: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>    [ 2288.525970] v4l2_common: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>    [ 2288.533966] cx2341x: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>    [ 2288.542022] dvb_core: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

These errors still suggest that the system is still trying to link up
modules that have been compiled in different ways or with different
kernel versions :-(

>    [ 2288.570526] pvrusb2: version magic '2.6.32 mod_unload ARMv7 ' should be '2.6.29-omap1 preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 '

Well I know that "omapX" corresponds to a TI architecture that happens
to use an ARM core.  So this sounds like a compilation environment
mismatch.  Last time I saw something like this the pvrusb2 module would
fail to load.  Are you *sure* the driver actually loaded?...

>    So it appears the pvrusb2 driver is fine now.  I don't know if the rest
>    matter.  I still don't have /dev/video0 so the issue is either the
>    above dependencies or you mention in your usage.html file about running
>    udev.  I believe I have udev installed.  Do you think the /dev/video0
>    isn't being created because of dependency issues or something else?

If the pvrusb2 driver had loaded then you should have seen a number of
additional messages in the system log generated by the driver itself as
it goes through the steps to initialize the hardware.  I'm guessing you
don't have those messages (otherwise I assume you would have pasted them
here).  So possibly the driver didn't load.  Without the driver then of
course /dev/video0 can't appear.  If you do "lsmod" do you see "pvrusb2"
anywhere in the output of the command?