[pvrusb2] mythtv and wintv-hvr-1950 - analog/digital scanning

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Jan 4 21:24:06 CST 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, fivenote wrote:

> Thanks Mike.
>
> I think I am telling it QAM mode. In myth TV backend config I choose
> "us-cable" as the "Channel frequency table". I'm doing exactly as I
> did yesterday when it found all the cable channels. Only thing I
> changed was to compile the latest v4l drivers from
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb. After that the DVB/broadcast channels
> started working and MPEG/cable channels disappeared.
>
> My developer's sense (I'm a web app developer) says the fix for the
> DVB broke the analog side. Please feel free to pass this on to the DVB
> develpoers.
>
> BTW... overall the developers that contribute here are doing a great
> job. I'm excitied to be so close to having this all work.
>
> -vincent
>
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, fivenote wrote:
> >
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> Thanks so much. Your explanation made sense. I got the latest v4l
> >> driver source from linuxtv.org. It compiled and installed ok. I
> >> noticed it came with a version of pvrusb2 so I used that instead of
> >> the pvrisb2 I had compiled separately before.
> >>
> >> Now I get tons of HD ATSC channels. But I lost my cable channels. I
> >> scanned the input connection for [MPEG : /dev/video0] and get all "no
> >> signal". I had all my expected channels before upgrading the v4l
> >> drivers and now none. I checked the myth and system logs,but nothing
> >> obvious.

  [...]

Vincent:

Ah, I misread your post.  I thought you were trying to scan for digital
cable channels.  But you said analog and you had clearly stated
/dev/video0, the V4L device entry point.  While it's possible that there
might be problem in the tuner chip's driver, there's another more likely
possibility:  You can't run the DVB and V4L sides at the same time.  If
something is holding the DVB side open, the V4L side will be prevented
from tuning or streaming - it can't run because the hardware resources
needed are busy servicing the DVB side.

If you're running this completely under MythTV and you've told MythTV
that the two devices are related to one another (have you?) then this
collision should not have happened.  If MythTV doesn't know that the two
sides map to the same hardware then it might erroneously try to operate
both sides at once.  Alternatively if you might have had something else
holding the DVB side open when you tried to touch the V4L side (for
example an instance of the DVB azap utility), then the V4L side won't
operate.

Knowing that, does this help?

isely @ pobox (dot) com