[pvrusb2] mythtv and wintv-hvr-1950 - analog/digital scanning

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 6 19:28:05 CST 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Bob James wrote:

> Just a stab in the dark but could it be a permissions error on the file
> /dev/video0 ?  I've had some weird things happen where I didn't have the
> correct permissions trying to open the video from Mythbuntu 8.10.  I tried
> the shotgun approach and did a chmod on the video0 with 777 to allow
> everything access just to test.  This worked for me.

It's a good stab.

But the smoking-gun clue that would indicate this sort of problem is if
he got an EPERM error ("permission denied") when attempting to cat the
device node.  All he's said about that so far is that he got an EIO.

But I appreciate the attempt at a stab.  At least by suggesting this
now, I had a chance to answer it for future users who might try a google
search on something like this :-)  Thanks.

BTW, in Debian, the usual way this permission issue is dealt with is
that udev will create the device node(s) with the group set to "video"
and any users who expect to play with video are usually members of the
"video" group in /etc/group.  I think Ubuntu does this as well; I don't
know about the other distros.

isely @ pobox (dot) com