[pvrusb2] mythtv and wintv-hvr-1950 - analog/digital scanning

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 6 21:51:28 CST 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, fivenote wrote:

> Maybe this isn't new info, but to be clear, when doing a cat
> /dev/video0 I noticed I'm getting two log messages...
>
> Jan  6 22:12:35 vao1420 kernel: [ 7348.565024] firmware: requesting
> v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
> Jan  6 22:12:36 vao1420 kernel: [ 7348.951037] pvrusb2: WARNING: No
> decoder present
>
> I think the firmware one is ok. The firmware file was extracted and
> placed with the others in my /lib/firmware so it should be finding it.

You're basically right.

There is a state machine in the driver that tries to carefully
orchestrate startup / shutdown of the video pipeline.  This state
machine becomes even more complex in the case of the HVR-1950 due to the
fact that the digital side effectively defines a second, different, but
partially shared video pipeline through the device.  Anyway, we know now
that the driver is leaving itself in an error state due to the
unrecognized cx25840 module.  The state machine tries to reset itself
from the error state when you re-open the device and attempt to stream.
Very likely it is "playing it safe" and kicking the mpeg encoder each
time when attempting to come out of the error state.  So the firmware
message is harmless.

isely @ pobox (dot) com