[pvrusb2] Problems with ir-kbd-i2c

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jan 8 18:15:50 CST 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Michael Krufky wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Carsten Meier <cm at trexity.de> wrote:
> >
> > I've used lirc before and decided to better not use it again after
> > setting up a new system... Could somebody please port the
> > corresponding lirc-stuff to v4l? ;) OK, then I have no choice and use
> > it again... Thanks to all.
>
> That's not going to happen.
>
> It's much more likely that the "v4l" IR devices will be removed in
> favor of LIRC, now that LIRC has been merged into the kernel and is
> being refactored to work much more closely with the input subsystem.
>
> LIRC is the way to go, otherwise, -EOUTOFLUCK.

Actually, if it's going to finally play nice with the input subsystem,
that would probably address the primary issue why Carsten steered away
from LIRC in the first place.

I should search the kernel to see if there is an -EOUTOFLUCK.  If not,
somebody should post a patch to add it :-)

My big complaint about LIRC is that it is a major PITA to compile its
out-of-tree kernel modules.  I'm always fighting with its brain-dead
build system.  To finally have that in the kernel - with that cruft gone
- is great.

isely @ pobox (dot) com