[pvrusb2] How to uniquely identify a device

Carsten Meier cm at trexity.de
Fri Jan 9 10:18:34 CST 2009

Hi again,

I'm currently writing a tool to store video-settings in an XML-file
(for setting controls on a per-channel basis and for storing
encoding-profiles). Now I have a problem to uniquely identify a device.
I first wanted to use the bus-info to associate a particular device
with a profile (for the case of multiple identical devices connected to
a system). But this changes on reconnect.

If I first print out the bus-info it reports something like "usb 7-2
address 7". If I then dis- and reconnect the device while it is under
operation (streaming to VLC), it creates a new device-node (/dev/video1
here, exactly what it should do) but reports a bus-info "usb 7-2
address 8" and the profile can't be associated to that device. How
can I read the serial-number which is used by the sysfs-interface
through the V4L2-API?

Sorry for keeping you busy with my questions... Thanks a lot.

Carsten