[pvrusb2] driver status / update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jan 15 10:48:41 CST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Carsten Meier wrote:

> Am Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:25:30 -0600 (CST)
> schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Carsten Meier wrote:

> > > Cool. Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Bad news.  The v4l-dvb maintainer has rejected the patch that enabled
> > putting the driver serial number into the bus_info field.  His
> > reasoning is the same as what I had previously given when you first
> > asked.
> >
> > So now you need to convince him, not me.  I've already pointed him at
> > the earlier discussion thread.
>
> I've started a thread for this on the v4l-list:
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/video4linux-list/2009-January/msg00291.html

Sorry I didn't reply quicker.  I'm really having a bad day today.
Multiple problems have suddenly happened (nothing to do with pvrusb2),
including a pending massive disk failure on my mythtv backend no thanks
to Seagate and their crappy firmware.  (Two replacement Western Digital
drives are now on order and I have to quickly back up the remains of the
still-working degraded RAID array before a second drive fails - and
there is another drive in there with the known-bad firmware so it's just
a matter of time...)  I might be unable to progress on the pvrusb2
driver tonight because of this.  But I digress.

Anyway, Mauro is trying to unify the mailing lists.  There a new list,
linux-media which is hosted at vger.kernel.org.  Anything involving the
previous 3 lists (video4linux, linux-dvb, v4l-dvb-maintainer) is
theoretically instead supposed to be discussed on the one new list.  Of
course, for now it's just ANOTHER list and since now lots of stuff is
being cross-posted the net effect is just the opposite :-(

I already started this discussion on linux-media and Mauro has posted a
reply describing what you really need to do for this.  (Plus there's
another pvrusb2 change I have to implement to make this possible and
right now I'm not sure how to do it.)  You may want to go find an
archive for it and read the thread.  Just find the most recent post from
me and backtrack from there.

isely @ pobox (dot) com