[pvrusb2] no video...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Jan 19 00:01:54 CST 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Dhimiter Bozo wrote:

> nothing seems to work. the only way for me to get a stream is to connect the
> capture card straight to the cable from the wall. the problem there is that
> i don't get any premium channels. when i connect the card from the cable box
> out i get nothing.
> at the moment i'm not even testing with mythtv at all. i'm setting VLC to
> point to the campture card. as i said earlier, i get a stream when the card
> is connected straight to the wall but not when it's connected from cable
> out.
> any ideas?

Dhimiter:

I re-read your original message, my first response, and then looked as
your message above.

Best I can tell you is that given what you've already shown, the driver
is working perfectly.  The fact that mplayer detected a 720x480 stream
is a "smoking gun" clue that it's getting a stream.  The fact that
mplayer then failed to display it and spat out codec errors is a sign
that mplayer was set up wrong.  At least that's how I interpreted your
earlier message.

Reading your followup post, you're saying that now you are able to get
non-premium channels to stream when you plug the pvr usb2 directly into
your cable outlet (so I assume you got mplayer to work now...), but
nothing when going through your cable box.  Well that once again proves
that the driver is working.  Really, if you can tune and stream ANY RF
channel with the pvr usb2 then the hardware, the driver, and your app
are all working.  If problems start when you insert the cable box in
between then there has to be something wrong with the signal being sent
from the cable box.  I of course can't diagnose that since I have no
idea what your cable box is, how your cable system is set up, what kind
of DRM the box might be enforcing, how you have the cable box connected
to your pvr usb2 hardware, etc.

Working from first principles I suggest you plug something ELSE into
that cable box (using the same output that you are plugging into your
pvr usb2 hardware) and verify that you can get a signal and that you are
tuning the expected channel(s) to get that signal.  You didn't say
before how you were connecting the cable box to the pvr usb2.  Are you
using the RF connection and just tuning channel 3 (or 4 or whatever
channel the box is sending on), are you using the RF connection and just
expect the box to pass the signal through unmolested (perhaps that isn't
working?) or are you taking a composite or s-video signal from the cable
box into the pvr usb2?

Again, from everything you've described to me, the pvrusb2 driver and
your hardware are working fine.  Seems like you are just not operating
it correctly with the cable box or that your cable box is doing
something you don't expect.

isely @ pobox (dot) com