No subject

Fri Jan 23 00:21:47 CST 2009

firmware supplied by the vendor of your hardware.  So in the case of
OnAir, it's that specific 2.04.008 firmware that they are supplying.
Of course, the hardware vendor probably isn't going to care if you run
somebody else's firmware on their hardware.  However the opposite is
most certainly not true: I imagine Hauppauge would get upset (and
probably withdraw permission to distribute on the ivtv site) if they
were to discover people knowingly using Hauppauge-supplied firmware for
a competitor's (e.g. OnAir) device.  Therefore it's important - for all
pvrusb2-driven hardware - that there be a means for a user to get the
needed firmware from the maker of his/her specific hardware.

Yes, I know that these encoder firmware images in fact may come from a
common 3rd party (i.e. Conxant).  Actually I'm not entirely sure, but I
don't really care either.  It's not relevant, since the end user
licensing such as it is comes from the device maker.  Technically any
encoder firmware should work on any device.  But if you want to stay
kosher with what the vendor permits in relation to licensing of its
supplied firmware, then you really should be using a firmware image that
ultimately came from that vendor.

isely @ pobox (dot) com
---1463811561-1106499909-1234124918=:32293--