[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 requires procreload=1?

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jun 11 04:34:09 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 23:15 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Roger wrote:
>
> For the pvrusb2 driver, 'debug' is not a flag but a bit mask.  By
> setting it to '1' you have actually DISABLED a lot of output.  Please
> read the documentation about this - the behavior of debug has been this
> way for many years.

OK.  (Looked over the pvrusb2-debug.h)

> Getting one but not the other makes no sense to me unless for some
> reason you managed to build the driver with CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_DVB
> unset (which would remove the DVB parts of the driver).  But the normal
> build process for the standalone driver turns this one on.  If you are
> working from an in-kernel driver, then of course it depends on what
> you've set in the kernel.

I have a working hvr-1950.  Only after reboot/cold start without first
power cycling the HVR-1950 do I get the following problems.

Once booted, I perform "rmmod pvrusb2 && modprobe pvrusb2" and usually
then the HVR-1950 is initialized properly.

> > What is notable to me are the following lines:
> >
> > s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
> > pvrusb2: unregistering DVB devices
> > device: 'dvb0.net0': device_unregister
> >

> > s5h1411_readreg seems to be v4l-dvb related.
> >
> > ret == -5 probably isn't a good thing.
> >

> Yes, it's a driver for the tuner within your device.  The error return
> indicates an I2C transfer failure ("-5" means EIO).
>
> I think you have some issues with how you've configured DVB, though
> exactly what I do not know.

Yes, the s5h1411 error seems to be reoccurring consistently on boot (or
with already loaded firmware).

What do you recommend for debug= values?

(Per the dvb post, I'm guessing it might be trying to initialize the
device and doesn't know how to handle the hvr-1950 with already loaded
firmware.  Just a wild guess though.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org