[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jun 12 15:17:49 CDT 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, fivenote wrote:

> Scott's video sample looks like the same problem I reported here.
>
> Thanks Scott!

No, I think he's seeing a different problem.  Notice the vertical
striping in the picture.  I didn't see that in Vincent's sample.  Also
in Scott's case the distortion is different - the whole image is there
but it's squished a bit due to the vertical bar on the left. The caption
at the bottom of the video clip is suggestive that the image is in fact
complete, i.e. not clipped to the right.

Scott:

I need to know which kernel version you are using and if you are using
the stock pvrusb2 driver that came with that kernel.  (If not, then
which driver snapshot and/or if you've also pulled in a v4l/dvb
repository.)

Yes I agree this looks like a screwup with the video standard.
Encoding of luminance data is essentially the same between PAL and NTSC
(if you discount 50Hz vs 60Hz), however the color component is encoded
differently between the two standards.  A B&W image with that overlaid
color striping is what I've seen before when there's a PAL vs NTSC
problem.