[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20090616

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jun 17 00:16:15 CDT 2009

A new pvrusb2 driver snapshot is available.  The driver changes are:

  (+) Fix problem involving correct determination of undefined audio /
      video routing.  Routing tables for various chips are sparse
      arrays but their "sparseness" was incorrectly set up.  With this
      change we can now handle detection of undefined routing setup.

  (+) Change default television frequency to US broadcast channel 3
      (previously was 7).  This has zero impact on apps; it only helps
      with my own testing.  With the phase out of OTA analog
      television in the US, the previous value became useless to me.
      I have to set some kind of default here, so I might as well
      choose something useful (which in this case corresponds to my
      analog RF modulator).

  (+) Initialize VBI for cx25840 any time the video standard is
      changed.  This is because the VBI initialization code in the
      cx25840 appears to use aspects of the video standard as input so
      we want to make sure that this code runs any time the standard
      is changed.  No, this does not enable use of VBI; it is a
      further refinement on the video scaling bug fix.

  (+) Fix horizontal video scaling bug involving analog capture where
      a cx25840 is used.  This is an old bug - previously fixed back
      in Nov 2006 (video was being distorted / corrupted for
      horizontal resolutions other than 720 pixels).  The problem was
      that the fix had been rendered ineffective by other changes.
      VBI is now initialized in the cx25840 driver only after the chip
      has been initialized (fixes 24xxx) and again after any time the
      chip is reset (fixes HVR-1950).

  (+) Additional tweaks to HVR-1950 device configuration having to do
      with I/F frequencies in the tuner (from Steve Toth).

  (+) Instantiate ir_video I2C device by default - basically change
      the default value of the "disable_autoload_ir_video" option to
      zero.

This snapshot should fix the poor video quality that people have been
seeing on the HVR-1950 when in analog mode and the horizontal capture
resolution is set to something other than 720.

There is a recently detected new problem, still unsolved, and specific
to the older 29xxx model: When switching from the FM radio to
television, the audio goes silent.  The problem appeared with the V4L
sub-device changes from a few months ago.  I just haven't had the time
to really dig into this one yet, and I felt it more important to get
the scaling fix out now thus today's snapshot.

Note also the ir_video change.  The driver now will attempt to bind
V4L's IR driver (ir_kbd_i2c) where appropriate (depending on the
detected capture hardware).  This will conflict with lirc.  If this is
a problem for you, then you'll want to override the behavior with the
disable_autoload_ir_video module option.  HOWEVER that is not a
permanent solution, because there are changes coming into the kernel's
I2C subsystem that require changes in lirc and once the legacy I2C
compatibility code is removed from the kernel (probably will happen in
2.6.31), lirc will likely break for I2C based IR receivers.  Sorry,
this is outside of the pvrusb2 driver.  Hopefully the lirc folks are
on top of this.

As usual, the pvrusb2 web site can be found at:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html