[pvrusb2] admin: changes to the pvrusb2 mailing list

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jun 19 21:16:50 CDT 2009

A couple of notes regarding the pvrusb2 mailing list:

A little less than 2 months ago I implemented a greylist filtering
algorithm on the isely.net MTA.  I did this in response to a sudden
LARGE increase in received spam mail.  This would have subjected all
pvrusb2-related posts to the greylist, but at the time I was unsure how
well the filter would function so I specifically white-listed anything
involving pvrusb2 list traffic.

Well it's been almost two months and the greylist is actually working
pretty well.  Meanwhile spammers' attempts at abusing this mailing list
have increased.  As you all know, posting isn't allowed here unless you
subscribe first.  That *so far* has perfectly protected the list traffic
itself, but the various addresses have been getting constantly abused
(and rejected).  And starting today a new spammer has shown up trying to
disguise his garbage by putting "pvrusb2 at isely.net" in the "To:" field
(even though the target is still my normal address).  This is causing
that worthless garbage to bypass the greylist.  Why do these jerks do
things like that?  Do they have some kind of twisted sense that I'm
actually going to do business with someone who consciously decides to
abuse my resources?  What an ass.  I'm also getting more concerned as
the list software auto-replies back to the spammers with rejection
notices from attempts to post to the list, spew at the request address,
etc.

So, I'm going to drop the whitelisting of the pvrusb2 list.  This will
subject all pvrusb2-related e-mail to the greylist.  Given my 2 months
of experience with greylist techniques, I am reasonably confident that
there should be no problems for normal users.  Your posts will
experience a minimal 5 minute delay the first time you post, but once
the greylist filter "learns" who you are, then you'll get a free pass
through the filter for the next 90 days - with the counter recharged
back to 90 days again for each successful post.

If for some reason you post to this list and it doesn't appear, please
let me know through my pobox address (isely (at) pobox (dot) com), which
is filtered through a different means.

Long story short, pvrusb2 list related e-mail will now pass through the
greylist filter but I expect there will be no problems from it.

On a related note: roccomoretti (at) hotpop (dot) com, I am going to
unsubscribe you from this list.  There is a large pileup of outgoing
e-mail to your address, all of which is being deferred.  This has been
going on for quite some time (weeks at least).  I don't know why;
perhaps your host thinks erroneously that I am a spammer or you have
some kind of messed up e-mail filter.  Maybe you've just disappeared.
If you can get that cleaned up, feel free to resubscribe.  In the mean
time I will drop that address and clean out my outgoing mail queue.  Of
course, you're not going to get this message; perhaps you'll see it in
the list archives...

There should be a death penalty for spammers :-(