[pvrusb2] Request: Check I2C addresses

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Mar 4 22:33:31 CST 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, akp2akp2 wrote:

> Mike Isely schrieb:
> > On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Mike Isely wrote:
> >

> >> I'm in the process of making some fairly pervasive changes in the
> >> pvrusb2 driver to support a new V4L architecture that permits safer
> >> handling of I2C client modules.  (No, I haven't forgotten about raw
> >> mode, but this work has to come first due to some other issues.)
> >>

> >    [...]
> >

> >> So I need some help here.  What I'd like is for pvrusb2 users to do
> >> this:
> >>
> >> 1. Plug in your device (if you haven't already).
> >>
> >> 2. cd /sys/class/pvrusb2/*
> >>
> >> 3. cat device_hardware_description debuginfo >/tmp/info.txt
> >>
> >> 4. E-mail /tmp/info.txt to me.
> >>

> I can't find device_hardware_description  and debuginfo in cd
> /sys/class/pvrusb2/sn* even if using moduleparameter debug=255.
> I'm using in-kernel version 2.6.22.17, might this be to old?

No, the feature that this request is depending on has been present in
the driver since long before it got into the mainline kernel.  However
the code won't be compiled into the driver unless the driver's debug
interface is enabled during kernel build.  The config flag is this:

  CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_DEBUGIFC

For standalone driver snapshots, this flag is on by default.  It doesn't
hurt driver performance or reliability to have it on, but it obviously
does add to the driver's compiled size.  Distribution supplied stock
kernels probably don't have it enabled since it isn't strictly required
in order to use the driver.

Don't worry about it though.  I've gotten quite a few responses so far
(though I'd still like to hear from someone with the fairly rare
"Gotview" device).

Thanks for trying.

roccomoretti: Obviously you figured this out as well..

isely @ pobox (dot) com