[pvrusb2] Problem with wintv-hvr-1950

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Mar 10 18:58:42 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 08:37 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:

> > root at beagleboard:/# cp /dev/video0 /home/root/test.mpeg
>
> I usually use 'cat' here out of habit, but the 'cp' command should work
> (and I doubt that using 'cp' could result in the problems below).

The old behavior of cp would try coping the device file to the new
location, which would obviously fail.

Interesting that cp can now be used to "cat" a device file.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31K Aug  5  2008 /bin/cat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 76K Aug  5  2008 /bin/cp

Using cp instead of cat is going to cost you more then twice the memory.
And, again although negligible, it might cost a few extra CPU cycles
each time it loops.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org