[pvrusb2] WinTV HVR-1950 and openSUSE 11.1, no dtv selection in ctl_input

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 31 20:12:49 CDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Chris Cox wrote:

> Well... I have a feeling openSUSE 11.1 has a broken v4l implementation in the
> kernel, but just in case I'm just being stupid...
>
> The device and firmware load fine and a dvb frontend0 device gets
> registered according to the startup logs....
>
> And analog tuning works just fine.

If you've gotten analog to work then the pvrusb2 driver is likely
running correctly.  A lot more has to be working in order to support
analog mode than digital mode.  When in analog mode just about the only
aspect not exercised is the digital portion of the tuner - but since the
tuner is really one part, the fact that analog is working also says that
communications with that chip is working as well.

> But I can't get dvb (QAM) to work.  I tried getting the dvb tools
> and running them, but they say "Operation not permitted" when trying
> to use the /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 file.
>
> Any hints?  Solutions?

What user are you running as when you try?  Just as a test, try it as
root.  If it works then this does NOT mean that you must run as root,
but it will prove that DVB is operating correctly - and that the real
issue has to do with how your distro is managing user-level access to
the hardware.

> I have no dtv option inside my ctl_input/enum_val just
>
> $ cat enum_val
> television
> composite
> s-video

This list will change depending on various conditions.  In particular
the dtv choice will NOT show up if you have an analog interface (e.g.
/dev/video0) open.  Rather than explaining this again here, go instead
to this page:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#Interactions

and scroll down to the section titled "V4L vs DVB interactions".

isely @ pobox (dot) com