[pvrusb2] Any rumors on a new h/w version of HVR-1950 being released?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue May 5 20:40:24 CDT 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Roger wrote:

> Any rumors on a new hardware version of the HVR-1950 being released?
>
> (... looks like I've waited long enough and may take the plunge on
> getting one of these within the next week or so.)

I haven't heard anything, and I don't have any reason to suspect it
either.  The current HVR-1950 is pretty much a proper superset of the
old MCE 24xxx device (just with ATSC added to it and a much smaller
box).  The device of course can't do HD-capture, but that is a far
different kind of animal and is covered by the HD-PVR (and entirely
different device).

> And, does anybody know if mplayer can play the live stream on a Intel P3
> CPU after using mplayer's hacks to resize the video before streaming?
>
> (I already know it requires a fast CPU for playing hi-def.)

The processor is probably fast enough to do its part for SD (i.e.
640x480 or lower) playback.  However you also have to consider the video
chip and the bandwidth of the pathway between the video chip and the
processor.  A processor of that vintage MIGHT be paired with a video GPU
that won't be able to keep up.