[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 Schedule Information Source

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed May 6 19:51:13 CDT 2009

Roger wrote:
> Is it still required to use a secondary provider (such as Schedules
> Direct) for downloading scheduling information, or can this information
> be downloaded directly via the ATSC tuner?

I've successfully been using (only) the over-the-air ATSC scheduling
data with my HVR-1950 and MythTV for quite some time now. Program titles
come through perfectly. (The episode descriptions, however, get mixed
around between programs. But as Mike indicates, this is almost certainly
a MythTV issue - as I understand it, the pvrusb2 driver just passes the
data through as-received.) Schedule forecasting can be a little thin,
though. Although my local PBS station gives 3+ days of info, the
networks give substantially less - sometimes even less than the FTC
mandated 12 hours.

> I do believe there is an option for this within MythTV, however, MythTV
> wiki sites state to use Schedules Direct.

Yeah, it's a bit of a deliberate blindspot on their part. (To the extent
that when you have issues with the ATSC schedule information, their
first suggestion is to use Schedules Direct. *sigh*) The ATSC scheduling
guide still works, though. FYI: the OTA (over the air) ATSC EPG
(electronic programming guide) is sometimes called the EIT (event
information table) by MythTV.

A final, more pvrusb2-related note: the pvrusb2 driver enforces mutual
exclusion between the digital and analog sides, due to hardware
constraints. Usually the transition happens seamlessly, but if any
program is using the digital tuner *for any reason*, you can't switch to
the analog mode for as long as the digital tuner is in use. Scanning for
EIT data counts as using the digital tuner. The issue comes if you tell
MythTV to use the ATSC EIT info - it will constantly scan the EIT,
holding the digital side open. You can turn the EIT scan off, but then
updates to the EPG become unreliable. :-)