[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-dev-0c73d0aa725b

Martin Dauskardt martin.dauskardt at gmx.de
Mon May 11 15:35:34 CDT 2009

> We need to figure out if this is kernel-specific or something in the
> v4l-dvb repo.  Right now all I can tell you is what I think I said
> before: the tda9887 module appears to be reporting an I/O error when it
> thinks it should have transferred 4 bytes over I2C.  Obviously if the
> pvrusb2 driver's I2C adapter were broken we'd be seeing A LOT more
> problems than this.  So the tda9887 module might be doing something
> wrong.
>
> I haven't seen this problem HOWEVER I haven't really tried that hard
> yet, and I'm not running under 2.6.29 yet.  This could be specific to
> that kernel.  Any chance you could try this with the same v4l-dvb under
> 2.6.27.x?

Hi Mike,

 I tested the same hg with 2.6.27.23:
- the tda9887 errors are still there
- the audio does NOT disappear when switching from radio to TV

So the tda9887 i2c errors seem to be a different issue.

I am very surprised that the kernel itself can have such an influence on the
behaviour of  v4l2 drivers. The kernel is build without any v4l2 drivers, it
is sure that they come from the pvrusb2-dev-0c73d0aa725b hg snapshot.

What could be the next steps to debug the problem? But I guess I won't have
much time until next weekend.

Greets,
Martin