[pvrusb2] EPA Power Saving - HVR-1950 When Scanning EPG Data

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Nov 2 18:03:01 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 00:09 -0500, Michael Krufky wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> >> Just curious as to whether we could expect (patched firmware?) which
> >> would fix the HVR-1950's 24/7 scanning for EPG data?
> >
> > The firmware doesn't do that scan, the application has to do it, like
> > MythTV.  The firmware only does what it is told by the driver (e.g.
> > pvrusb2), which only does what it is told by the application (e.g.
> > MythTV)...

> >> much more power then when actually in standby.
> >
> > Actually, in this case I doubt it makes any difference.  The concept of
> > "scanning for EPG data" does not exist in the device.  It's a function
> > of the application

Granted, I've heard of devices consuming more power during scanning.
This was usually noticed by hotter devices "to the touch" when scanning
EPG vs. not scanning EPG, but I have not put a power meter to the
HVR-1950 -- nor any other devices for that fact.

> Roger,
>
> If you're using mythtv, enable the option "OPEN DVB CARD ON DEMAND"
> and disable the option to "USE ONAIR GUIDE"

Hey Mike.  But if I do this, then EPG data isn't downloaded.  (Or, this
is what I've seen in the past.)

When I get more time, I'll muddle around the mythtv stuff to see if
scans can be restricted to less then one hour a day, or so.  But I'm
sure this has already been discussed or thought of during coding.

And, due to all the previous notes on the mailing list concerning the
scans causing other problems, likely already been discussed.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org