[pvrusb2] Perl and fwextract.pl [was: pvrusb2 Digest, Vol 51, Issue 8]

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 15 15:04:00 CST 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Joel Mayer wrote:

>   Dear Mister Isely-
>
>   I have both versions of your firmware extractor and both versions of
>   Steve Toth's drivers sitting idle on my desktop. The last time I
>   commented you replied- "My extractor is a Perl script. If you have
>   Perl installed my extractor will do its job automagically."
>
>   I went in to the software library on my SuSE 11.1 install DVD
>   through Yast. There are well over a hundred Perl this and Perl that
>   options which I am able to install. More specifically (you are typing
>   with a noob) which: sub-assembly, or module, or component, of Perl
>   should I install?
>
>   Thanks / Joel Mayer

Joel:

The requirements for fwextract.pl to run should be no different than any
other typical Perl program.  There's really nothing at all special about
fwextract.pl - it's just a Perl program.

I'm not familiar enough with SuSE to give you an exact answer about
which package(s) to install, but if that distro is set up like Debian
is, then just finding the package named "perl" and installing it should
be enough.  All those zillion other Perl related packages are probably
additional libraries and API wrappers that allow Perl to do more stuff.
Perl also comes with a giant pile of additional libraries, and while
fwextract.pl uses a few of them, the ones it uses are all considered to
be part of a "standard" Perl installation.  Said another way, if you
install package "perl" then probably the distro's dependencies will
likely also pull in whatever related stuff you might need.

Just to be really, really clear: If you run the command "perl -v", do
you get anything?  One thing I probably haven't been clear enough on is
that there's really two ways to execute fwextract.pl.  One is just
"fwextract.pl" while the other is "perl fwextract.pl".  The first method
is more intuitive but it won't work unless the file execute bit is set.
The second method always works but requires a bit more typing and the
driver documentation doesn't really talk about that.  (But anyone who
has run scripts before in Linux would probably already know this.  Guess
I should clarify the documentation.)