[pvrusb2] Problem with Hauppauge 1950 with (64 bit) Ubuntu 9.10 (Kernel 2.6.31-14-generic)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 15 15:21:34 CST 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, John Kennedy wrote:

> On Saturday 14 November 2009 18:49:29 Mike Isely wrote:
> > John:
> >
> > Comments interspersed...
> >
> <snip>
> > I fixed this issue several weeks ago, but the changes probably aren't
> > going to reach the mainline kernel tree until 2.6.33.  Until then you
> > can build and run a standalone driver.  Or you can find an instance of
> > older 8KB firmware for the device.  There was a very recent discussion
> > about this here, and I've also updated the online pvrusb2 documentation
> > to cover this issue.  Take a look here:
> >
> > http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Firmware
> >
> >   -Mike
> >

> Mike,
> Thanks for the fast reply (on a Saturday, even. ;) )...
> I have downloaded the older driver because I am lazy and that is the
> easiset...
> I tested and the old firmware works.
> Thank you...
> John

That's OK.  In your shoes I probably would have done the same thing,
which will continue to work so long as Steve Toth keeps that older
firmware available.

Unfortunately right now I'm completely cornered by history here.  The
problem will however eventually go away (probably in a few years!) as
people move up to later kernels.

Some day I'm actually going to rewrite that really really REALLY stale
FAQ on the web site.  This scenario you hit is probably going to be
repeated a lot :-(