[pvrusb2] HVR-1900 needs driver change to support 16K fx2 firmware.

Gary Francis gary.francis at serverlan.plus.com
Sun Nov 22 08:06:53 CST 2009

Hi Mike,
    Firstly, thanks for all the effort in maintaining drivers for the
pvrusb2.
    I recently acquired an HVR-1900 and now have it working with both
Ubuntu 9.04 and Slackware64 13.0, except for the IR Blaster. Using the
extract script from the 20091031 snapshot I was able to extract the
required firmware, but had a couple of problems in using the latest FX2
firmware.

The firmware for the HVR-1900 (From 1.2a driver CD) is now 16k in size.
To use this required two changes to the driver source.
1. The addition of the 16k flag for the HVR-1900 in pvrusb2-devattr.c.
*** 393,398 ****
--- 393,399 ----
                .flag_has_analogtuner = !0,
                .flag_has_composite = !0,
                .flag_has_svideo = !0,
+               .flag_fx2_16kb = !0,
                .signal_routing_scheme = PVR2_ROUTING_SCHEME_HAUPPAUGE,
                .digital_control_scheme = PVR2_DIGITAL_SCHEME_HAUPPAUGE,
                .led_scheme = PVR2_LED_SCHEME_HAUPPAUGE,

2. The firmware uploader pvr2_upload_firmware1 in pvrusb2-hdw.c checks
is hardcoded to check for an 8192 byte upload, causing a 16k upload to
fail. I changed this to use the actual size of firmware expected.
*** 1890,1897 ****

        trace_firmware("Upload done (%d bytes sent)",ret);

!       /* We should have written 8192 bytes */
!       if (ret == 8192) {
                hdw->fw1_state = FW1_STATE_RELOAD;
                return 0;
        }
--- 1890,1897 ----

        trace_firmware("Upload done (%d bytes sent)",ret);

!       /* We should have written fwsize bytes */
!       if (ret == fwsize) {
                hdw->fw1_state = FW1_STATE_RELOAD;
                return 0;
        }

Keep up the good work

Gary

--
Gary Francis. EMAIL gary.francis at orange.net
The views expressed here are the ramblings of my fingers and do
not necessarily represent those of my mind.