[pvrusb2] 29xxx pvrusb2 fails on "Device being rendered inoperable" after firmware load

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Nov 26 15:40:55 CST 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Antti Pyykko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 29xxx WinTV PVR2 USB device and I'm trying to get it working on my
> desktop box. It's running self-compiled mainline 2.6.30 AMD64 kernel on Debian
> unstable. So far I haven't been able to get the device working.
>
> The firmware has been downloaded by installing firmware-ivtv .deb package.
>
> I have earlier tested the mainline kernel 2.6.30 pvrusb2 module, no luck.
>
> Today I checked out v4l-dvb via Hg, compiled, installed, then downloaded
> pvrusb2-mci-20091124, pointed V4LDIR to the fresh checkout, compiled,
> installed pvrusb2.ko and moved away the old module. No luck with the fresh
> stuff either.
>
> The symptoms are always the same. When I connect power to the device, I see
> this in syslog:
>
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 15
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=2900
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: pvrusb2: Hardware description: WinTV PVR USB2 Model 29xxx
> Nov 26 22:33:25 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: firmware: requesting v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
> Nov 26 22:33:26 hanuri kernel: pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now reset and reconnect.
> Nov 26 22:33:26 hanuri kernel: usb 2-4: USB disconnect, address 15
> Nov 26 22:33:26 hanuri kernel: pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable
> Nov 26 22:33:27 hanuri kernel: usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 116
>
> Then nothing happens, ever. I've tested with different cables and different
> USB ports and USB hubs but the end result is always the same.
>

> The device works when I connect it to my laptop (running Debian unstable
> running Debian kernel 2.6.31-1-686). The firmware files are identical on both
> computers (MD5SUM of v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw matches).
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong? Or, if you need any furher info, I'll gladly
> provide whatever you need.

This looks A LOT like the firmware failed.  After the FX2 firmware is
uploaded, the device resets and starts running with the just-uploaded
firmware.  If however the uploaded firmware was bad, I can certainly see
it becoming unresponsive at exactly this point.

You said the device works on another machine so the pvrusb2 hardware has
to be OK.  You also checked and confirmed that the same firmware file is
used in both cases so the firmware itself has to be intact.  The only
remaining explanation I can come up with is that the bits are being
corrupted in the process of being sent to the device.  It is interesting
that the log data shows the device only shifting up to full speed
instead of high speed.  While it should work at full speed, why isn't it
at high speed anyway?  If there isn't a reasonable explanation for this
(e.g. you just happened to be running it through a USB 1.1 hub) then the
downshift in speed might also be a hint of data integrity problems in
the USB link.  Can you try a different USB port, controller, hub, and /
or cable?