[pvrusb2] WinTV-HVR-1950 will not load firmware

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Oct 31 18:18:31 CDT 2009

Got some more information about this firmware issue - the reason why the
manual extraction didn't work is becaues the FX2 firmware image is now
16KB!  The extraction process is only getting the first 8KB which of
course doesn't work.  I had suspect this before; now I'm sure.

I have a copy of the 16KB FX2 firmware for the HVR-1950.  It's trivial
to train fwextract.pl to find this (that script doesn't actually care
about firmware size).  However every pvrusb2 driver version in existence
since the beginning only accepts 8KB-sized FX2 firmware.  This is not
difficult to fix, but it will require a new driver version and
unfortunately this new firmware is not going to work with any in-kernel
driver - because they all will predate this fix :-(

It's going to be fun documenting this, and I'll have to also make some
changes to the manual extraction procedure so that a 16KB blob can be
pulled now.  Stay tuned.