[pvrusb2] Hauppauge 1950 (model 1192) and SuSE 11.1

Joel Mayer joelm_audion at msn.com
Tue Sep 8 08:08:31 CDT 2009

Gentlemen-

I have not been able to get the following tutorial:

http://en.opensuse.org/Set_up_Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR_USB2<http://en.opensuse.org/Set_up_Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR_USB2> to link up my

Hauppauge 1950 (model 1192) USB TV box with the SuSE 11.1 partition on
my HP Compaq 6730s KS079UT lap top. I think the problem rests with the
fact that my system will work with Mike Isely's driver, his firmware, and his
firmware extractor. But the author of the Open SuSE tutorial want me to
install these components from the ivtv repository. And the ivtv components
will not function with my gear.

Could someone please re-write the tutorial so that it installs software off
Isely's wiki rather than the ivtv wiki? Further, could someone re-write it so
it calls upon 'zypper install' rather than yast or wget? Maybe you gentlemen
know this already, but 'zypper' has a reputation for installing software in such
a manner as to resolve dependencies more smoothly than either yast or wget.
Seems to me if 'zypper' can be made to work, MythTV function should be all
the more seamless.

I wrote to Mister Isely but he has no personal experience with the SuSE
distro. Worse, he programs at a level far above a total noob like myself.
I did write ups of my issues in the SuSE Hardware and Myth TV forums
weeks ago, but these have gone unanswered. Nobody in the linux
community wants to run Myth TV on a Hauppauge 1950 through
SuSE 11.1.

Thanks for your help /