[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 64 bit Video0 no devices 32 Bit ok?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Sep 15 01:56:06 CDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, mike ingardia wrote:

> Mike,
> Been an interesting few months playing with pvrusb2.  Got it working on
> 32 bit Ubuntu 8.04, 8.1, 9.04.  Video0 shows up, can select tuner inputs, video works,
> sound works, life was great.  Fooled with Myth for a while mostly up and
> going but decided to buy Sage TV.  Got it working, able to switch
> between HVR-1950 and Homeun tuner all is good.   Decided to upgrade to
> 64 bit ( work is moving to 64 bit linux and I am on a amd chip and it
> seemed over all faster ).  Same drill got things going again, tried vlc
> /dev/video0 and video and sound work great.  Installed SageTV ( they
> need to run on 32 bit java but easy enough to download a 32 bit jvm and
> run it ).  SageTV comes up able to configure HD-Homerun ... then the
> issue.  /dev/video0 and adapter0 both appear but if I choose adapter0 I
> get the choice to choose a Digital Tuner. Digital side must be grabbing the card
> If I choose video0 however... no choices and SageTV won't continue.  Tried MythTV same thing no
> choices under video0.  Checked out crtl_input and sure enough cur_val is
> set to dvb.  the default is set to 0.  Check 32 bit linux cur_val  =
> television and default 4096.  Can't set default its readonly?   Try to
> set cur_val to television .. SageTV still does not show devices.  Check
> enum and its got the right values.  Ok I am Stumped.
>
> Any ideas on things I can try to get the devices to show.
>
> Mike...

Interesting.

To-date, I have not heard even a single instance of a problem specific
to 64 bit linux.  The driver has been 64 bit clean (well except for a
compiler warning every once in a while) almost since its beginning.
With that said, it's certainly possible that a new issue might have
cropped up.

What kernel version are you running in the working vs non-working cases?
The distro version doesn't really help much here because the kernel
driver really isn't sensitive to the distro version.  Rather, what do
you get for "uname -r" in each case?  If the 64 bit OS is using a
different kernel version, then this might be a different cause.

A couple other points:

The "default" control value is read-only because it's a compiled-in
default for each control.  It doesn't make sense to change.  It's only
showing as a aid to let you know what the default will be when the
hardware is first plugged in.  Also, I thought I had done a fix a while
ago so that the "default" control value for an enum is the symbolic name
not the underlying numeric index.  But that's not relevant to the
problem and likely the kernel you are running is just a bit older than
that.

To debug a problem like this, you need to separate environmental from
driver problems.  I'd probably start by shutting down everything that
might touch the driver and try some simpler things first.  Look at
enum_val in ctl_input and verify that all the choices are present.  If
they are not all there then the input list has been narrowed probably
because something probably is (still) holding one of the two sides open.
If you see all the input choices then try to exercise them one at a
time.  For analog it's easy to use mplayer + the sysfs interface (but it
sounds like you already verified that much with vlc).  For digital you
can *also* use mplayer in combination with azap, or just any simple DVB
player.  Kaffeine might be a good choice.  If you can get all the inputs
to individually work, then there's nothing wrong with the driver.  With
SageTV there must be something holding the digital side open.  I can't
explain why you would see a difference between 32 vs 64 bit - unless
when you did the 64 bit OS installation that perhaps something *else*
environmentally-related got installed which is influencing this.

As far as I know, there are no issues in the driver that are sensitive
to 32 vs 64 bit operation.  It *should* be clean.  If you've hit
something here then you're the first one that I know about.