[pvrusb2] Remote and HVR-1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Sep 27 22:44:21 CDT 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

> So, as discussed in a previous post, I am stuck at using kernel 2.6.26
> because of another tuner. However, I would like to get my remote to
> work with the 1950.
>
> Roger seems to have gotten his to work, with a newer kernel, however
> Mike and He seem to have agreed that what he did to get it to work
> shouldn't make a difference. I have the following question:
>
> Given that I have to stick with 2.6.26, and given the apparently
> impossible nature of Roger's diagnossis, might my I be able to get my
> remote to start working with my 1950 if I used the standalone driver?

I seem to remember that there was a software switch that had to be
flipped in the FX2 in order to power up the IR receiver.  And I think
that detail was missed in the early driver versions which supported the
HVR-1950.  Since 2.6.26 was IIRC the first kernel to have that support
then odds are good that the IR isn't going to work with the in-kernel
driver.

However as you have guessed, you should be able to try the latest
standalone driver with that kernel.  I still at least test-compile the
standalone driver all the way back to 2.6.12 before each new release.
One thing that makes the standalone driver sources larger is that it
includes a lot of code to permit correct operation with those older
kernels.  (If you want to see all the permutations, have a look at
pvrusb2-options.h in the standalone driver.)

And by the way, NONE of the pvrusb2-loaded firmware images have anything
at all to do with IR.