[pvrusb2] An Apology to the list

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Apr 7 19:38:40 CDT 2010

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, JE Geiger wrote:

> I apologize for asking my last question to the list.

The only apology needed here is from me, for not answering your earlier
e-mail.  Sorry about that...

> It appears that the usb portion of the HVR-1950 can respond even if
> the device itself is improperly powered.

Just looked back at your message.  Actually your HVR-1950 was in fact
NOT responding.  The messages you saw were from the pvrusb2 driver's
main initialization code running when you loaded it into the kernel.
That code runs once when the driver is loaded, before any hardware is
dealt with.  You didn't get any further messages after that point
because the hardware was not responding...

Normally with udev in your system (who these days doesn't run udev...)
the pvrusb2 driver will be autoloaded into the kernel when the device
appears.  This causes the driver's main initialization to run, then it
an entrypoint will be called where it is passed information about the
newly detected device.  That entrypoint then triggers all the usual
device initialization.

If you manually load the pvrusb2 driver (which is perfectly fine to do),
then the main initialization runs but since the "I have new hardware"
entrypoint doesn't get executed yet, then the driver just sits idle
until the device is plugged in - at which point then the entrypoint gets
called by the USB stack and you see all the other messages.

> The firmware was unable to load because 120 volts was not on the
> HVR-1950 wall wart, as it had fallen from the power strip.

Ah, the old "forgot to plug it in" trick :-)

> Like the wise old man said, always check the power supply voltages
> when troubleshooting.....

I learned long long ago that when diagnosing misbehaving hardware that
the first thing you check is its power supply.  Glad you figured it out.