[pvrusb2] driver oops [was: An Apology to the list]

devsk funtoos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 23:08:14 CDT 2010

> Can anyone else cause this sort of oops?  /me ducks behind a wall...

I had recently reported an oops while removing pvrusb2 driver. And in the same process pvrusb2-context.

The stack looked different but silent corruptions or bad pointers almost always screw up the stack.

Did you find out why were there corrupt strings reported in the dmesg?

> [ 1193.215000] usbcore: deregistering interface driver pvrusb2
> [ 1193.215000] pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable
> [ 1193.215000] pvrusb2: unregistered device x¼<96>Ý^A<88>ÿÿstats
[mpeg]
> [ 1193.215000] pvrusb2: unregistered device
¨¼<96>Ý^A<88>ÿÿradio0 [mpeg]
> [ 1193.215000]
tuner-simple 1-0061: destroying instance
> [ 1193.215000]
tda9887 1-0043: destroying instance

This was a successful removal. Corrupt strings in messages are always a cause of concern! And a very good hint towards potential problem...:-)

-devsk