[pvrusb2] Is it possible to discriminate between two HVR-1950s?

Charles Green charleswgreenjr at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 20:25:24 CDT 2010

I currently have a single HVR-1950 on my system (SheevaPlug), attached to our cable TV feed, working quite nicely for analog.

I need to add a second tuner to this system for over-the-air ATSC, attached to an antenna in my attic.

In following this mailing list for a while, I seem to recall that unique serial number information is not made available by the driver for, e.g., 'udev' to be able to set up unique and consistent /dev names upon reboot.  This wouldn't be a problem if all tuners got the same signal feed, but in this case they won't.

It's my understanding that these USB devices would be processed in whatever order they appear on the hub, not necessarily related to where they're plugged in.

If it's not feasible to differentiate these, I'll probably go with something like an HDHomerun; the single tuner version at least appears to be cheaper than the Hauppauge unit anyway.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

-Charles Green