[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 on Debian 'squeeze' / armv5tel (Was Re: Is it possible to discriminate between two HVR-1950s?)

Charles Green charleswgreenjr at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 16:05:57 CDT 2010

Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I've actually gone ahead and ordered an HDHomeRun, so this won't be an issue with me at the moment.

In any case, I'm now sorting something different out:

Having 'upgraded' (as in, created a separate new bootable filesystem) from Ubuntu to Debian 'squeeze' (since Ubuntu is apparently abandoning the armv5tel architecture), I see all the appropriate driver messages, firmware loading, etc., and mythtv-setup shows my "WinTV HVR-1950 Model Category 7 [pvrusb2]" as an "Analog V4L capture card" (and it shows up under DVB and even MPEG-4 types, though without an associated audio device in both cases).

However, the "IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card" selection (which I think I'm supposed to be using) simply has "Failed to open" under "Probed info".  I'm using the same firmware files (v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw, v4l-cx25840.fw, v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw and v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw) as under the Ubuntu installation, which worked fine with the Ubuntu software (and still does when I boot that image).

So it looks as if the probing for various tuner types, or the answer, differs somehow between the two systems on the same hardware and the same firmware.  On the Debian system, attempting to use it as an 'Analog V4L capture card' shows no audio device, and doesn't give me the option to scan for channels.

Thanks again,

Charles