[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20100424

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Apr 24 21:49:22 CDT 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, JE Geiger wrote:

> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/4/20/218 might be a bread crumb.
>
> This appears to be localised around the sysfs and may clear up when
> you port the sysfs changes.

And in fact it does.

The problem is that sysfs attribute structures need to be initialized
with a call to sysfs_attr_init() before being used - this is new for
2.6.34.  Somebody (likely the kernel developer who implemented this
requirement) else had already made this change to the pvrusb2
driver in the kernel.  The change however also didn't make it back to
the Mercurial v4l-dvb repository yet and so I didn't merge it yet.  I
had thought that the init() function was effectively a placeholder and
that future changes were really going to need this.  But I just merged
that patch directly into the standalone driver and the oops is fixed -
and the BUG messages are eliminated as well.

I will release a new standalone driver, but I think I'll get some sleep
first and pick this up tomorrow.