[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 - Lenny - Was working, now "jammed"?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Aug 26 22:24:22 CDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Richard wrote:

> Reinstalling v4l-dvb fixed it.

Richard, sorry I didn't immediately reply again but I'm glad you got it
fixed.

I was thinking after your other reply that if you had installed v4l-dvb
over the top of your existing kernel, then a follow-on kernel update (as
part of a package update that you might have done) probably would have
overridden your v4l-dvb installation - thus the problem surfaces.

As I had said earlier, the pvrusb2 driver used to expect FX2 firmware
that was only 8KB in size.  About a year ago it was discovered that
Hauppauge had started shipping firmware that was 16KB in size, which was
rejected by the pvrusb2 driver at the time.  The fix for the driver was
easy, but it takes a while for changes to find its way into the kernel
tree and especially if you're using a stock distribution supplied kernel
(which will be older) then it probably will have the pvrusb2 prior to
that fix.  When I made this fix, I also got the change propagated to
v4l-dvb shortly afterwards, therefore when you installed the recent
v4l-dvb snapshot you inherited the 16KB-accepting pvrusb2 driver again
and that's why it is working again.