[pvrusb2] 29xxx pvrusb2 device initialization problems

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Feb 7 14:35:00 CST 2010

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, vdb128 at picaros.org wrote:

> > But remember that I'm also running that same 2.6.31.9 kernel on my
> > desktop system and THERE the 29032 device initializes perfectly.
> > Perhaps the USB hardware is different on the two?  Well, apparently not,
> > according to lspci.  One both machines this is what lspci says about the
> > USB host controllers.  It's identical in both places:
>
> It might be a compiler peculiarity.  If feasible, copy the 2.6.31.9
> kernel image from the desktop to the laptop and install it as an
> alternative boot image.

Another good guess.  But...

When I say I'm running the same image on both it actually is the
bit-for-bit same image.  When I build kernels here, I build them into
Debian packages.  Then I can install the package wherever needed.  So in
this case it really *is* the same build running on both machines -
installed using the Debian package installer.

I'm starting to think more and more that this is some sort of race
condition happening at a very low level involving the USB host
controller.  The relative timing of the two machines will definitely be
different: The laptop where it doesn't work with certain kernels is a
Core2 Duo running at 1.7 GHz.  But the desktop where it always works
with all kernels is a Core2 Quad running at 2.66GHz.  Unfortunately that
guess doesn't help in leading to a root cause.