[pvrusb2] Manually pull tv listing info

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jun 19 13:29:32 CDT 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, rogerx at sdf.org wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:06:37AM -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> >On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, rogerx at sdf.org wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a method to manually pull tv listing data from the hvr-1950?
> >
> >At the level of the driver it's all just an mpeg stream.  The contents
> >are up to whatever app is using it.  There's nothing the driver can do
> >to help or hinder such an operation.  You need to ask yourself what apps
> >might be able to do that, and the answer to that question would be the
> >same regardless of what DTV capture hardware (or capture driver) is
> >being used.
>
> Correct, the EPG info is embedded within the ATSC stream (briefly viewed the
> protocol -- a_65-2009.pdf).
>
> From what I hear, when recording with an application, it's likely stripped (ie.
> mplayer).
>
> However, is there a way I can do "cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0"?  Or, from your
> brief response, if I can't get dvbstreamer working, then I'll have to dig into
> C programming instead of just using Bash?

Roger: You are asking questions regarding the internal format of the
byte stream coming from the transmitter.  The driver doesn't do anything
with those bytes beyond just passing them all verbatim to the
application.

My previous brief response is that this issue has really nothing to do
with the driver.  You should be asking these questions on a more generic
DVB mailing list / IRC channel.