[pvrusb2] Problems with HVR 1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 30 19:04:26 CDT 2010

Comments below...

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Edmundo Agurcia wrote:

> Dear Mike,
>
> Thanks for everything, I want to follow you but I'm really new into this
> COOL environment of Linux.
>
> I want to do this,
>
> 2. This is the more common solution: Take note of the group associated with
> those /dev/videoX devices.  Do "ls -l /dev/video*" - you will notice that
> they are probably owned by root but in my Debian system the group ID is
> "video".  You'll probably also find that the permissions mask allows the
> devices to be group read/write capable.  So...  Just add the user ID of the
> mythtv backend process as a member of that group.
>

> But still don't know on where to start... :( I'm sorry but really I am a
> newbie) I search for the group file and found the video thing, when I do the
> ls -l /dev/videoX in my case 0,1,2 it displays me:
>
> crwxrwxrwx+ 1 root video 81, 0 2010-03-26 21:43 /dev/video0
> crwxrwxrwx+ 1 root video 81, 1 2010-03-26 21:43 /dev/video1
> crwxrwxrwx+ 1 root video 81, 2 2010-03-26 21:44 /dev/video2

I presume this is after you did the chmod 0777 on those files - because
they are set up to be world-writable which means the mythtv backend
should be working with them.

But I'll bet that udev by default is setting them up to look like this:

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 2010-03-26 21:43 /dev/video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 1 2010-03-26 21:43 /dev/video1
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 2 2010-03-26 21:44 /dev/video2

That's more typical.  It means that the 'owner' can read / write these
endpoints and anyone who is a member of the associated group can also
read / write these endpoints as well.  As for 'owner', that's 'root',
and the group that's been associated with these is 'video'.  If you look
in the file /etc/group, you should find an entry defining 'video'; at
the end of that entry all you would need to do is add the user name
under which the mythtv backend is operating, like I showed in my earlier
message.

However I see in a followup message that you solved this using strategy
#1.  I will add more there...

> And when you want to visit us I live in one of the most beautiful places of
> earth. Roatan, Honduras!! Hope you can help me... :(

Funny you mention that.  I was recently made aware of the blog:

http://transworldexpedition.com/

I read that through end to end and find it fascinating.  It's a weblog
of a guy who has decided to take a year to drive around the world in a
Toyota Landcruiser.  He passed through Honduras and is in Argentina
somewhere.  What an adventure!  But I'm married with kids and a house
full of stuff (including a few pvr-usb2 devices...) so I don't think
I'll be doing anything like that any time soon :-)