[pvrusb2] Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun May 16 16:48:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just bought a hauppauge wintv pvr usb2. When I plugged it into my
> > ubuntu 10.04 I got all the indication that
> > the device is recognized
> >
> > http://pastie.org/private/aatmacucv2qenp2qk95pfq
> >
> > I have the camcorder running into the composite input.
> >
> > I were able to only once get video with vlc
> >
> >   vlc stream:///dev/video0
> >
> > found the trick on http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html. Thanks Mike Isely!
> >
> > After that the same vlc stream only giving a green screen.
> >
> > Am I experiencing any bug?
> >
> > And I definitely not getting any audio. I have both RCA input (L/R) going into
> > the PVR but only one coming RCA output (L) coming out from camcorder.
>
> I am running
>
> iqbala at ghar-iqbala:~$ uname -a
> Linux ghar-iqbala 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30
> UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Asif:

You didn't say which kind of device you purchased however I see from the
link you provided with the kernel log output that it's one of the
original 29032 devices.  That's fine; it should work.  I have in fact
recently tested and verified that it *still* works, provided you don't
get burned by the first problem in this list:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html#Bugs

However what you describe definitely does not sound like that
initialization issue so I can't suggest what is going wrong there.  If
you got it to work once, it should work every single time.  In addition,
if you are getting video then the sound should be good as well.  Way
back when xawtv was routinely used, it would mute the audio output on
exit - which could cause confusion later.  You might want to check that
the audio isn't muted (look at the sysfs control for that).

The only other thing I can think of is that the hardware defective, but
having that happen is pretty rare - the only hardware issues I've
really heard of over the years involve overheating the device and
in that case it will usually completely crash.